Pages

Sunday 20 December 2020

Teaching Parts of Speech

 Yeah, I know, just like any other teacher, that yes, we need to do this. However, with restraints and the curriculum as broad as it is, I didn't realise I had missed a stage until I tried to get the students to write a sentence one word at a time. 

The fun fold your paper over once you have written your word and pass it to the next person. Took too long and wasn't a lot of fun. (Please forgive me, I had a group of students for 4 years before this class, and I knew exactly what they had been taught over the previous years. I assumed this group had learnt it too.)

We had talked a lot about onomatopoeia, so that was where our sentences started.  

Onomatopoeia, the name of a person, was adverbverb, in the adjective, noun.

As we went, we brainstormed examples for adverbs, refreshed their knowledge of verbs, made a list for adjectives and then refreshed our understanding of nouns. 

So as I said, what should have been a quick fun activity, wasn't. But we still come out with some fun sentences.

Smash, Clyde was silently trodding in the fat grass.

Agh, Shony was silently dancing on the long tv.

Swish, Harlem was happily sleeping on the skinny chair.

Splash, Lexus was sadly lying on the hairy table.

Pop, Davis was quickly fishing on the spotty whiteboard.

Smash, Marcus was patiently riding on the tremendous hairy cow.


You can just hear the laughter we caused reading them out to the students.

I am looking forward to trying this task again but this time making sure the students are well prepared beforehand and not making an ass of myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

RPI 3 - All Things Text

  Text Selection - Day 3 - RPI Today I decided to start with an image (Thanks Kiri) as the RPI or Reading Practice Intensive is about pickin...