Pages

Wednesday 30 June 2021

Tala noa - Cultural Responsiveness

Cultural Responsiveness has been a priority for all teachers, no matter what school I have been in. This session was discussed through a Tala noa, which under this name I hadn't attended before. 

Tala noa a discussion based around an objective with NO judgement. Despite the fact that this is not a new concept when I heard this first I was relieved because I have been in discussions where you could feel the look when you had your say. Personally, you can't change your thinking if you can't share it.

We looked at the Pasifika Success Compass, showing the student/learner in the middle and the way people, families, communities and series wrap around them. All with the purpose of Achievement, Engagement and Participation for the student at the forefront.

Students don't care what we know until they know that we care!

We looked at a video with the pleas of Pasifika students for the education system to catch up with the innovative practices of our Pacific communities.

"Enable me, enable us, my community, all our communities, my family, your family - so we can grow our potential."

When Pacific learners and their families all across Aotearoa feel safe, valued and equipped to achieve their educational aspirations, we know we have made the system shift in the right direction.

5 Main Ideas to Supporting Pasifika Learners (from TKI)

  1. Know your Learner
    • Build Relationship
    • Ask Students what will help 
  2. Establish Reciprocal Relationships with Families
    • Partner with Parents
    • Create Welcoming environment
    • Discuss Learning
    • Support Families
  3. Build Community Networks
    • Value Parents and Community Expertise
    • Strengthen Pasifika Community Engagement
  4. Build cultural Responsive Environment
    • Integrate Languages
    • Provide Leadership Opportunities
    • Support English Language Learner
    • Use Technology
  5. Explore Pasifika Perspective on Inclusion
    • Explore Family Beliefs, Values and Expectations
    • Review Research

What am I doing and What do I need to do more?

1. I love getting to know my students and sharing myself with them. I use the scrapbooks of family albums to show my own family and my life. We create a profile about ourselves for the class wall, I even did this in Term 2 this year when I started a new class because I believe relationships are so important.
2. Create a welcoming environment, with their work on the walls to help develop pride and a sense of belonging. Talk about learning with students and parents not just at interviews.
3. I have just moved into a new community so I am working on this one.
4. Each term I try to encourage different students to try different responsibilities. I love using technology to help explain learning and love how student blogs can be used to rewind learning.
5. Through meetings and reading I am coming to understand more about the way families are and how important RESPECT is! 

If I am honest, this helps not just our Pasifika Students. 

It helps everyone to feel valued! Making Society a Better Place for Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

RPI 4 - Guided Reading & Comprehension

 Guided Reading with Targeted Comprehension Background to Guided Reading A Guided Reading approach is based on the extensive work in the 196...