Pages

Monday 26 February 2024

RPI - Data Reflections - Do Students Enjoy Reading?

 Room 9s Data

Before the Data Collection

Like all wonderful teachers, when given a form, I checked it out and couldn't see anything missing. I thought there were many questions, but my next thought was that the RPI leaders know what they are doing, and it will provide good information.

1. Following this process, the question is 'Do Students Enjoy Reading?'
2. Using the profile survey we were able to collect data across the class, (3 other classes have completed RPI and I am interested in comparing results at another point in time).
3. Checking the data I found one student was super keen and submitted twice. 
4. Analysing the data with the students took time, especially with trying to get their thoughts. (My main statement was what can you see, there is no right or wrong answer).
5. Here I am sharing my findings which I have also done with my Principal and Class.
6. Act on the data will occur in stages: 
  • Discuss specific answers with individuals
  • Talk to students about what they would like to read more about
  • Find books to increase reading enjoyment
  • Encourage all students and talk about improvement not level

When I First Started Looking at the Data 

I realised I could compare Year 7 against Year 8 students, but I couldn't compare males against females. Legislative practice always involves comparing gender, ethnicity, and age. And although I didn't want to go too deep, I did want to see the variation between males and females. Then I thought, 'Do I include 'other' for the students who don't recognise themselves as male or female?' So I checked back to the Manaiakalani Student Survey and how they gathered this information.

Although this was an afterthought, my class was happy to just use the two main categories, making analysis easier. But it did bring up some interesting questions.

Do males actually know what reading entails when at home? Finding out how to set up the TV or PS5 all entails reading.

Having discussions with the different student groups and the principal, it was interesting to see their thoughts on the data. 
A couple of important facts to be aware of in Room 9 we currently have 24 students, 9 are Year 8 and 15 Year 7s. 13 of whom are female and 11 are male. (So glad they all add up to 24)😁

The Data


 

It was interesting even the student said wow what a lot of slides. I responded by explaining that we were doing them all in one day.

Check out our thoughts with each slide. But here is our summary of the data of the most interesting or pertinent points. 

Analysis of the Data

What I/we found out:

  • Overall 30% of Room 9 don't like to read 
  • More boys go to the library this could be because there are more graphic novels or a larger choice
  • Wow, what a contrast 86% of Year 7s enjoy reading compared to 22% of Year 8s.
  • 80% of students understand reading will help them, leaving 20% unsure how it helps. A conversation with students is necessary not to persuade them but to understand what they mean.
  • The most common genres of books are fiction, comics and pictures
  • A few students read a wide range of genres
  • 50% of the class read at home on the way to bed or in the evening
  • Over Summer more than 50% read a book a week
  • What whanau thinks about a student's reading ability is similar to their belief in themselves.
  • For goals, many thought understanding what they were reading was a priority

Questions the WE asked - 

  • Why don't a third of the boys like reading?
  • The boys who don't like reading at home are they the same as those who don't like to read at school?
  • How do I get these non-readers into reading?
  • How do we get more than 50% overall enjoying reading in Room 9?

Favourite Responses:

  • I love reading and I can't stop
  • I need help
  • I only have feelings about the graphic novels and the images, not chapters book feel with words only
  • To be able to Understand the Secret Meanings

Final Thoughts

The survey has given me a lot to think about and discuss with individual students. 

Following this process, the question is 'Do Students Enjoy Reading?'
Using the profile survey we were able to collect data and this will be interesting to see again mid-year and later in the year.

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Tanya

    Thank you for sharing such a detailed ‘drill down’ into your students’ Reader Profile Survey data. As you say, there are many aspects to the year level (e.g. 7 vs 8), gender and reading interests to unpack.

    It’s good to hear that you had productive discussions with your class and with Kataraina, to get greater insight into the data. I was wondering whether your reluctant readers - especially the boys - or your principal, had some recommendations on taking action. I also found myself thinking about year 8s access to books/material that would pique their interest and how often they get to take reading material home to read. Did you get a chance to have a look at the Reading Challenge activities on the Task Board and the goal to complete the grid (or a number of genres) (e.g. by mid year). This could offer a way in to inspire the class to read and recommend texts to each other.

    Thank you for taking the time to showcase all your graphs in an accessible slide presentation and summarising the results for us.

    Nga mihi nui Tanya!
    Naomi R.
    For the RPI Facilitation Team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Naomi,
      I like the idea of offering a reward to those who put the effort in and step outside their comfort zone by reading and completing the challenges. I am sure my class will be enthused and wanting to achieve even more.Thanks for that idea.
      Tanya

      Delete
  2. Hi Tanya. I really wish I had thought to break my survey down further into gender - it would have given me that next level of data! Although my gut tells me it is prodiminantly boys who are disengaged.
    I love the questions you ared together. I am sure that generated some rich discussion. It helps so much to direct the ownership doesn't it.
    I am looking forward to working alongside you all and brainstorming our thoughts and sharing ideas and together hopefully engaging a whole lot more kids in books!

    ReplyDelete

RPI 4 - Guided Reading & Comprehension

 Guided Reading with Targeted Comprehension Background to Guided Reading A Guided Reading approach is based on the extensive work in the 196...