Pages

Tuesday 5 March 2024

RPI 2 - Knowing Your Learners

 Knowing Your Learner - Day 2 - RPI 

Dorothy - History of Manaiakalani

After discussing how the words Learn/Ako, Create/Hanga, and Share/Tohatoha originated from shared expectations of what makes a great literacy programme, Dorothy talked about how they engaged students in reading through podcasts. Students were eager to be part of the 'rage', so they read to create a podcast. This led to a point where students simply wanted to read for pleasure, which is a success in itself. Now, I can listen to that myself on a podcast.

Base Line Questionaire

We completed a questionnaire relating to our practice, and as an experienced teacher, it was interesting. I made a note of a few of the items I would like to do more frequently and in more depth.
  • I plan for learners to reflect on learning intentions and success criteria to evaluate reading progress.
  • At least fortnightly, I give learners 'Responding to text' tasks that balance higher-order thinking prompts with 'Create' opportunities.
This idea I have used previously and would like to include it again
  • I use termly approaches to promote reading mileage at home such as challenges and learner self-tracking.
I want to monitor this as I love using poetry and narrative text but do I do this
  • I use poetry and narrative text to develop learners' literary appreciation of figurative language, character and author’s style.
We will complete this questionnaire again at the end of RPI, so I will be able to report back on how I have improved.

Assessment 101 and Planning for Ambitious Outcomes


To know our learners, we also have to look at their data and understand what they need to learn next. We covered this in the Papakura Achievement Initiative (PAI) in the mid-2000s. I have since encountered this every time a school introduces or revisits Assessment for Learning. So it is great to see that we are not discarding valuable practices along with irrelevant ones.




I have come across the effect size before, but that doesn't mean I remember it, so I am including it in my post so I can refer to and utilise the ideas in my deliberate acts of teaching.
I always have high expectations, but I want to examine how I reinforce them. I've noticed that despite having these expectations, a couple of students still do everything to avoid work. Is it due to the Goldilocks Principle? Or are the purpose and success criteria unclear?

We then took a look at Formative and Summative Assessment, and I love the analogy with the chef.

Many tools can be used for both formative and summative assessments. It was interesting breaking down how we can obtain more teachable data from NZCER Assist to help focus our planning. All assessments should be worthwhile and purposeful. In other words, we should use them to teach from, not teach to. And then, of course, we need to triangulate data, and observation data is just as important.

As teachers, we must prepare students for testing to ensure we catch them before they fall behind and create assessment-capable learners.

Keeping Track of Learning

I found this interesting because when I was working with paper planning and assessment in clear file folders, I did this successfully by tracking what was covered as well. However, the more digital I became, the more scattered it all became and not in one easily accessible format. I look forward to using this workbook to collate and track what is being taught. - example 

Below are images from pages in my class workbook.

Tracking Reader Profiles

I found this discussion really reassuring because the Reader Profiles gather a lot of information. It was explained that we don't need to track all of it in detail; we can focus on certain areas, and these are the first ones. I am going to pick 3 to focus on Mileage, Attitudes and Self-efficacy.

Assessment Tools

It was interesting to hear how the PATs have been updated and to have access to the new manual.

Developing Assessment-Capable Learners

I enjoyed this part of the day. As I mentioned before, I have been taught to include Learning Intentions and Success Criteria for a while (not going to say it will give too much away). It was interesting to see where others display the success criteria. I have done it straight on the site and still do for some areas. However, with groups in reading all reaching for different targets or the same target at different levels, the success criteria can look different.

Chatting about the wording of WALT or LI helped to solve a couple of issues, as I often wonder how much I should include and I agree it is easy to over word preventing students from applying the learning to other areas or too broad.

Where to from Here -

As I mentioned earlier I have some ideas to strengthen my practice and encourage reading that I want to focus on from the questionnaire.
Once we have done our assessment I am looking forward to analysing the tasks and seeing how I can use this data in my planning and sharing the practical part of the results with students.
Of course, I would like to start co-constructing Success Criteria with specific groups and making sure my LIs are clear, precise and not to specific.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Tanya

    I have really enjoyed reading another of your comprehensive professional blog posts on RPI Day 2: Knowing Your Learners as Readers. We are super pleased that you found the day to be beneficial, and given some of your key reflections, there will be much to strengthen what you already know and do.

    Like you, I never tire of hearing Dorothy Burt take us back to the beginning and trace the history of the Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy. I do hope you get a bit of time to listen to some of these timeless podcasts created by the students involved in Korero Pt England. On Day 8, we will have the opportunity to create a ‘one shot film’, which harks back to these first digital book recommendations. I know you are going to enjoy getting your students to have the experience too.
    I’m pleased that you emphasised how the questionnaire - pillars of practice - afforded you the opportunity to self-evaluate your own practice needs, and celebrate the strengths. Making some notes on practice areas where you want to see shifts by Day 9 will be important to come back to as you say, and as one measure of the efficacy of the RPI programme.

    It was great to hear that despite being an experienced practitioner you still found some nuggets to take away from the sessions on Assessment Capable Learners, Keeping Track of Learning and the PAT Deep Dive. I really look forward to your insights on how the Teacher Workbook can be gainfully used without doubling up on planning, and keeping the Class Site a focal point for teaching and learning.

    All the very best with your coaching conversations and the practice implementations. I really look forward to you sharing your trial of the task board with a group of learners!

    Nga mihi nui!

    Naomi R.
    For the RPI Facilitation Team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Naomi,
      It is amazing how much we know as experience teachers, but as time goes but oen thing slips to let another in (not necessarily best or better practise). So I have really appreicate the work board and way of tracking because looking back the years I had the best shift I was tracking vigilantly. At some times I felt that was all I was doing but witht he class and individual incentives progress was made.

      As you can imagine pinning down a teaching principal can be tricky, but I am determine to have the conversations even if with another experienced professional and then summarise the thoughts and ideas with the coach.
      Tanya

      Delete

RPI 3 - All Things Text

  Text Selection - Day 3 - RPI Today I decided to start with an image (Thanks Kiri) as the RPI or Reading Practice Intensive is about pickin...